Yesterday I went for a dentist appointment–just your standard cleaning and check-up. I had the kids with me, Cheyenne patiently watching Mia play with the toys in the waiting room while I was in the back. I got to kick my feet up in a reclining leather chair and listen to Marvin Gaye while a nice lady massaged my gums and cleaned my teeth. Ah, the pleasure. And yes I just did compare a routine teeth cleaning to a day at the spa.
You know you’re a pathetic stay-at-home-mommy when a trip to the dentist’s office sounds relaxing.
But am I really so pathetic? I don’t get my nails done. I haven’t had a (professional) hair cut in almost a year. It’s been ages since I laid in a tanning bed, which is probably for the best. I don’t freak out if I haven’t had "Toni Time" all week. I take enjoyment out of little things. And I feel like I pretty much lead THE perfect life. Here are some of my recent favorite things:
- Driving on country backroads on the way home from the store.
- A hot bath during Mia’s nap.
- Cooking dinner while Cheyenne practices Christmas songs on her flute.
- Reading a houseplan magazine while Mia plays at the park.
- Hot apple cider right before bed.
- Sleeping in while Caleb gets Cheyenne off to school.
- Riding my bike really fast down a hill.
- Pancakes on Saturday.
- Hiking in state parks.
- The 15 minutes of complete spotlessness after cleaning the house all day.
So I’m obviously not your average *desperate housewife*. I’m no less of a woman because I don’t pay an arm and a leg to be traditionally pampered. But you know what? I’m OKAY.
At least my teeth look freaking great.